Sunday, August 9, 2015

Blender 3D VW Bus Project Part 2



I've made some nice progress with the VW bus today with almost all of the panels for the body laid out and looking very close to where I want them.  As I said in my earlier post I am still learning new things when it comes to Blender and today I did just that.  I wanted to duplicate just a portion of the driver's side body so that I could use it on the passenger's side of the vehicle.  I did a little searching online and found that I can make a copy of a part and then change it with a command (Ctrl-M) and then add X,Y, or Z to get the direction I want the part to be mirrored.  This worked out great in being able to create the doors that are on the passenger side of the bus.  Saved me a lot of time and effort and the results look great. 



Once I am completely happy with how the body panels are lined up in the 3D model I will start laying out trim on the body, door handles, window trim, etc.  The plus side to doing the windows is that once I have one made I can duplicate the framework over and over and just plug them into the openings that you see here in the body.  


The rear of the bus is actually pretty simple in design and I could open this portion of the bus up also in the final model but at this point I'm not sure if I will or not.  I could set up several different views of the same bus with different doors being opened but that can wait until later.  
  I will also have to track down more reference photos of the interior for the bus to get it laid out correctly.  Again that will be farther down the line when I am fussing with more of the details at that point.  Total hours now on the model have climbed to 17 at this point.  Seems like a lot but I know I still have a long way to go before I can sign off on this project and say "Yep.... It looks good to me!"  Enjoy the photos.  More to follow in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Dave Dave Dave ,,,,, Sir Langkamp..
    Ive been looking for a person like you for a looooong time . I'm truly hoping that you are healthy and progressively productive. You have a Great Entrepreneurial and creative mind,,,Aweosme. Can we talk ?? I'm an avid lover of ANYTHING antique in Los Angeles, (Manhattan Beach CA.)and stumbled onto your 3D Vw bus images , Awesome , and ive reviewed more on your blog. I'm eager to connect and collaborate if possible. Reespectfully, Darrell Hollinquest DHQprivate@gmail.com 213 804 2178 (Black Plate Classics VW)

    ReplyDelete