Thursday, April 9, 2015

Blender 3D Bugatti Coming To Life In Living Color

In my last post I showed you my progress of the 1927 Bugatti Type 35 racer that I started to model using Blender 3D software.  I have put in a lot of hours on the computer model since then.  A total of 53 hours have now been racked up but with all things in recreation it is a labor of love and so the number of hours spent are just a curiosity for my sake more than anything. Also every hour I have spent so far has made me fall even deeper in love with this car.  

 (Click on the image for a larger view)

 (Click on the image for a larger view)

With the addition of better lighting effects, chrome parts, and the painted body the model is really starting to come to life now.  Speaking of color it took me some time to get the shade of blue to my liking with the model. I could have made it any color under the sun but I thought it best to leave it the blue that I found on most of the Type 35 Bugatti images that I researched online.  With the blueprints that I started with to create the model I found some flaws in the drawings.  This was not unexpected so the photos of the real cars paid off in a big way when doing this type of 3D modeling.  The tires on the blueprints looked correct on the drawing but not in the model.  They appeared to have to large of sidewalls compared to the real cars.  So I tweaked them to give the car a more realistic look and stance.  

  In the images above you can see what progress I've made from the first post about this project. I still have some small adjustments to make on the front suspension and of course put the interior and windshield assembly together. But I was amazed at how the body has really started to come to life after I put color and a reflective surface on the parts. Little details also in the model make it stand out.  Once I get the car model in shape I will continue to play around with the lighting and do something with the floor the model is sitting on.  I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do yet but that can be adjusted once I finalize the details on the car. 

  So that's where I'm at tonight with my Bugatti.  It is turning out better than I had hoped and so like anything else I create, it is getting to be worth the effort I put into it.  Enjoy the photos and I'll post the completion of the model as soon as it is done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment