Friday, April 17, 2015

Blender 3D Bugatti Type 35 In My Backyard

One last post that I wanted to make today about my Blender 3D Bugatti is the breakthrough that I had yesterday when I figured out how to create an image of the model in my backyard.  I have always wanted to crack this nut of a Blender problem and I came across the perfect instructional video that I found on YouTube.  The video is called "Quick Tip: How to Render a Shadow Pass in Cycles" and was created by Tom Latvys on the BlenderTutor.com website.


(Click the image for a larger view.)

Here's is the end result of my efforts after using Tom's superb tutorial on how to create the shadows for the model and put it into the photo of my back yard. I won't go into all the details about how this is done as you can see for yourself with the link I have here from YouTube. 


(Click the image for a larger view.)
 
Here is where I started and it is very obvious that the backyard is empty. I shot these photos yesterday and wanted to find a place around my house that did not have any shadows that would ruin the effect that I was going for in the final image.  Tom explains in the video how to set up your model so that it will line up correctly with your background and how to get the lighting just right. One of the big problems I had was a setting with the light I used for the shadow.  I got my settings for the light set to "Sun" and aimed correctly only to find out that the side of the car that should be shaded was lit up all wrong. Kind of like a reflector was shining light back on to the body. In actuality the "Sun" light was correct but was not the problem. After fussing with my settings for at least 15 or 20 minutes I had found an additional light source in my Blender model and that was causing the problem. It washed out the shadow from under the model completely gave me more light on the wrong side of the car. I removed the offending light and then the image was starting to shape up.

 
(Click the image for a larger view.)
 
 
Final render again with corrected top sun light.
 
The top image is one of my earlier renders of the Bugatti.  It was close but not quite right.  I had the shadow now but not exactly where I wanted it and the top of the car just did not give me the look of sunlight shining brightly on it. My setting for the brightness of the "Sun" light was set only at a setting of four.  To correct this I changed this setting to forty and realigned the light to get a better location for the shadow.  Take a look at this image and compare it to the lower final render again and you will see a big difference in how it all looks.  Much more realistic.
 
 
 
 
Here's the YouTube video of how my Blender 3D Bugatti was able to be put into my backyard. I hope it will help you with you Blender project as much as it has for me.  Good luck and enjoy the images.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment