Wednesday, May 1, 2019

1/6th Scale 3D Printed 1927 Bugatti Type 35 Model Project Part 4

Several weeks ago and a lot of hours work have passed since I have posted about my 1/6th scale Bugatti Type 35 model that I have been working on.  Happily with everything else that has shown up in the workshop that I needed and or wanted to work on  I have managed to still make some nice progress on the CAD model that will be needed for this 3D printed model.  


It all boils down to the little details that I want to put into the 1/6th scale model of this famous race car that has taken a very long time to create.  I know that there will be some Bugatti experts rolling their eyes at my efforts to recreate this model car.  I expect that will happen but I also expect that the majority of readers of my blog will be happy with my efforts and hopefully appreciate what I have managed or at least tried to create so far just in Fusion 360.  


I have lost count of the number of hours that I have in the CAD model so far.  I suspect that it is in excess of 200 hours or so.  Or at least it will be by the time I call the design work complete and I can get on with actually 3D printing the model and physically putting it all together.  I just did not want anyone thinking that I had given up on this project.  In the image above you can see that there is still work to be done on the interior of the car.  Gauges are most noticeably missing in the image along with various parts that will be mounted to the floor of the model.


The images that you see here were all created using Fusion 360 CAD software.  I could not have done a better job of showing off the model car if I would had created the same image using Blender 3D as I usually do.  


As I stated earlier there is still a lot of work that needs to be done in Fusion 360 to bring this model to completion. Once I have the interior completed I will have to go through the entire model to make sure that it will be able to be assembled as you see it here. To put it simply, like any other model that is made and put together I have to make sure that Tab "A" will fit into Slot "B" every time.  I do not want to have a part that takes 20+ hours to 3D print not fit correctly and have to be remade to make it all work.  It this was the case it would be a lot of wasted time and effort.  Not a good thing to happen with such a large model.  


In the image of the model above you can see what I have managed to put together on the underside of the car.  As far as the engine goes I will make a simplified version of the underside and include the modeling of the exhaust that would be in the car. The model will not have the capability to open up the front hood to look at the engine so this save me a lot of work in this process.  But it will have the full suspension front and rear along with the fuel tank that I thought would be a nice touch.

When completed the model will be 24.4 inches long, 9.5 inches wide and 7.7 inches tall.  At that size the model should be quite impressive.  So as you  can see I want to get as much detail in the model as possible and try and make it as accurate as I can.  Again a long process that should pay off in the end when I have the model completed.  Hopefully in the next post about this project I will have started 3D printing some of the main components for the model.  So as usual thanks for checking out my progress so far and I will be sure to keep you up to date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment