Work still continues on the 1/6 electric car model as more parts are stacking up on the work table. I made some nice progress on some of the smaller parts for the build with the completion of the dash assembly for the model as well as the assembly for the electric motor.
The dash assembly fell into place two days ago with the completion of the black and white printed center dash face. This was accomplished with the Makerbot Replicator and it's dual print extruders. This made it possible to print both the black and white parts of the piece all at the same time. This portion of the assembly took 2 hours 21 mins. I think the wait was worth it. The hardest part in making this piece for the assembly was just figuring out how to design it on the computer so that both the black and white parts could be combined on the 3D printer. With some effort I managed to get it right the first time out.
These three printed cylindrical pieces and a short piece of aluminum rod make up the assembly of the electric motor for the car model. I got some nice detail in this assembly by modeling recessed bolts and vent holes for the completed assembly in the two end pieces.
With the middle section of the assembly in a different color it sets off the model and gives it just a little more detail. The 1/4 inch aluminum rod runs through the entire assembly which helps keep everything lined up. The shaft is a nice snug fit so no glue was needed to hold the assembly together. The motor is 1.5 inches in diameter and is 2.75 inches long.
I am very pleased with the Makerbot 3D printer being able to print such beautiful parts. Having the ability to print larger parts makes putting intricate details into these small assemblies and parts easy and will make a big difference in the completed model of the electric car model. It's the little things that make the difference.