Friday, September 7, 2018

Fusion Drive Spaceship Carrying Case Is Completed.....Pt. 4

I am happy to report that this project has finally been completed.  I had to look at older posts to see exactly when I started this project.  To say that it has taken some time is definitely an understatement.  The first posting about the project was on May 2nd of this year.  Four months of waiting and delays have been the order of the day so I am more than happy to finally sign off on it and call it done.  So without further delay here is the end result of my efforts.


I am very pleased with how the case turned out. With all of the delays in getting this done it turned out much better than I had hoped.  The case is 15 inches wide by 15 inches tall by 30 inches long. A very big case to be sure. The painting of the case went like clockwork so that portion of the build did not slow it's completion down during the build. A plus to be sure.



In these two photos you can see that I have lined the case with gray felt.  I used a brush on contact cement and managed to get everything laid down smoothly.  It took roughly four hours to get the felt glued into place for this section of the carrying case.  I had already had all of the holes for the name plate and handles for the case already set up so it was an easy task to add these parts after the case had been lined.



Next came the base for the carrying case.  This also had been set up with all of the mounting holes for the case so it was just a matter of mounting the wooden guide plates into the case first and then lay down the gray felt once again to give it a nice finished look.  The felt for the base took 2 1/2 hours to mount to get it right as well.  The blue pieces that are also lined with felt are the mounting cradles for the spaceship model.  Lining these cradles helps protect the paint on the spaceship model. The cradles I fiberglassed  and painted earlier in the project so they were ready to assemble at this point as well. 

The black strip you see in the photos is actually a Velcro strap that is used to hold the model securely in the case when it is being transported.  All in all I am very pleased with how easily all of this came together in the project. 


I had to shoot this photo of the carrying case on my kitchen floor to get it all into the picture.  Again you can see the Velcro strap that is in the base of the case and the three cradles for the spaceship model.


Here the spaceship model is nestled nicely in the base of the case.  When I created the cradles for the carrying case I was able to make an exact copy of the profile of the ship and have it in the cradles so it is a perfect fit. A nice clean mounting resulted from this. Now you can see the Velcro strap holding down the spaceship stand in the case. 


In this final photo you can see two small cylinders that are mounted between the rear spaceship cradles in the base of the case.  These cylinders are used to keep the base of the spaceship model from sliding rearward in the case while it is being transported.  So a lot of planning has gone into this case so that the spaceship model will be protected in the coming years. 

While building the carrying case it has been a very interesting and rewarding project. If had no delays in the project it would have never taken four month to complete it. I would think it could have been done in a few weeks not months.  But no matter I am more than happy to sign off on this project and move on to the next in the workshop. Have a good day in your workshop as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment