Back to work once again on the 1/6th scale 1927 Bugatti Type 35 model has produced a pile of parts and a lot of 3D printing to get to this point. I had to look back on the last post I did about this project. It was this last May. Like most projects other things tend to put projects on hold due to other priorities. This has obviously been the case while working on this model.
This is the finished design that I put together in Fusion 360 software. This portion of the project has taken me at least 200 hours just to get the design worked out. Hopefully I have crossed all the "T's" and dotted all the "I's" while working out the design.
Here is a good shot of some of the major parts that have already been 3D printed for the model.
This is a good look at the floor of the driver's compartment. On the left of the floor you can see the pedals for the driver. Then more to the center is the transmission and the floor bracing. Farther to the right are the seats without the seatback and then finally the bell housing for the rear axle.
The big news with this post is the completion of the 3D printing of the boat tail rear of the model. This part is a very distinctive part of the Bugatti and took 44 hours to 3D print. The image above shows you what the part looks like right off of the printer before support material was removed.
Lots and lots of support material needed to be removed from this part. I had to be careful not to break any of the supports for the frame that are on the inside of this part while removing this pile of support material. It took me an hour an a half to get the job done.
Here is a closer look at the finished part after the support material had been removed. I am really happy that the bolts that are on the body line worked out as well as they did. It's a nice detail that will look good on the finished model.
The hole on the top of the part is for the fuel filler cap. I also am pleased that the louvers at the rear of the tail that worked out very well. Another nice detail that will make the model stand out.
The boat tail section of the model is a pretty good sized part being 5 inches tall, 5.5 inches wide and 10 inches long. With my cell phone sitting next to it gives you a good idea of how big it is. The largest part in the entire model so I am glad that it turned out as well as it did.
That's about it for this latest post about the Bugatti model. In the coming weeks I hope to make more steady progress on the model. The two rather large parts of the model that will be 3D printed next is the driver's compartment and the front hood. Both of these are big pieces but I don't think they will take anywhere near as long to print as the boat tail has with this project.
A new record for 3D printing for me on this project having to make a part that took 44 hours. I'll post more as I move forward with this project. Should be interesting once I start putting everything together to complete this project. Stay tuned for further developments.